These cupcakes are AMAZING and so yummy! I made this into a cupcake but you can also make it into a cake! The caramel buttercream frosting is just to die! OH MY GOSH! This will definitely cure any chocolate sweet desire you might have! So rich and so much chocolate!
- 1 cups of white sugar
- 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour (gluten free flour works great too)
- 3/4 cups of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder & 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce (you can also use vegetable oil)
- 1 cup of vanilla soymilk (I use soy because I am lactose intolerant but you can also use any type of milk you would like)
Buttercream Frosting Mix:
- 1/2 cup of half & half or heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 sticks of soft butter
- 4 cups of confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons of corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F & line the cupcake pan with any cupcake holders. Grease the inside of the liners with PAM or any cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda until well blended with a wooden spoon. Combine the eggs into the mixture & slowly add the vegetable oil (apple sauce) and milk to the mixture. Stir until well blended and then add the hot water. This mixture should be a more of a thin liquid than a thicker liquid so don’t be afraid.
- Grab a 1/4 measuring cup and ladle the mixture into the lined cupcake pan until they are 3/4 the way full.
- Bake the mixture for 33 minutes.
- Remove from oven & let cool completely before removing the cupcakes from the pan.
- While the cupcakes are cooking you can start on the buttercream frosting & caramel sauce. Place the corn syrup, water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat up on medium heat. Don’t stir the mixture, let it boil until it becomes thick and a caramel color.
- Once the mixture is thick, remove from heat and slowly whisk the cream, vanilla, salt, and lemon juice until all ingredients are combined. Set aside to cool completely.
- While the mixture in step 7 is cooling, combine the 2 sticks of butter and 4 cups of confectioner sugar in a medium bowl with a mixer. Add 3/4 of the caramel sauce and mix until smooth and well blended.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a spoon to scoop out the buttercream frosting and place on top of the cupcake. Use the back of the spoon to smooth out the icing, drizzle a little of the caramel sauce on top ( it doesn’t have to be perfect) and then place in fridge for 30 minutes or until the frosting is stiff.
I hope you all enjoy! Please send me any recipes you would like for me to blog about that you have found to be yummy and wonderful!