I hope everyone had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. Isn’t having a 3 day weekend the best!? Since I’ve been home a lot lately, I have really started picking up cooking. I mean, I’ve always loved cooking but I feel like lately it’s really become a hobby I’m doing every day! I always love cooking dinner for Jason when he gets home from work. We actually have recently, within the past few months, started using a cooking service called Peach Dish. It’s just like Plated or Blue Apron but WAY better! This is not sponsored, I just love it that much! All the ingredients are so fresh and I’ve never cooked one bad plate. The dishes all day about 30 minutes to cook (including prep) which is great for those of you who are super busy! We have tried Blue Apron and were very disappointed with the meals, packaging and overall delivery of the items which is why we switched to Peach Dish.
Anyways, this post isn’t about Peach Dish, it’s actually about a recipe I found off of Pinterest. I made this recipe this past weekend for Labor Day. Actually made it for Jason and his co-workers! They typically start work around 5:00 // 6:00 am which can be hard to think about breakfast that early. I have no clue how they do it! So I decided to bake them some yummy cinnamon sugar doughnuts to kick start their early mornings! I know what you are thinking, baking… homemade doughnuts!? That’s intense! Let me just be the first one to say, it actually wasn’t that hard. and they are so good! I found the recipe from the blog “Family Food on the Table” and I am so happy that I did!
Below is the Recipe for the Cinnamon Sugared Doughnuts. It won’t disappoint!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk (regular, soy or almond is fine)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Add milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla and whisk until smooth. (You want to break up all the yogurt clumps.)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, but don’t over mix.
- You can spoon the mixture into the prepared doughnut pans, but I prefer to add the batter to a plastic bag, snip a corner and pipe it in…since I don’t have an actual pastry bag to use.
- Bake donuts at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until done. ( I baked mine for 9 minutes)
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small, shallow bowl. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a separate small, shallow bowl.
- Remove donuts from oven and turn out onto a kitchen towel or paper towels to prevent them from getting soggy in the pan. Let cool for a minute or two, turning the donuts over once.
- Dunk each doughnut in butter then in cinnamon sugar, pressing down and twisting the doughnut to get it to adhere all over.
- Serve warm and enjoy!